What To Do If You Have Been In A Car Accident
Although every car accident is different, it is helpful to know the most important first steps to take after an accident. An accident can easily bring about confusion and panic, especially if you or someone else has been seriously injured. Taking the right steps is critical for the recovery process, including the recovery of necessary compensation for medical treatment and other expenses.
An Experienced Attorney Can Tell You What To Do After A New York Car Accident
At the law firm of Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. in White Plains and New City, we have experience helping people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents. Many clients come to us asking what to do after a car accident?
Some of the most important first steps to take after a motor vehicle accident include:
- Don’t leave the scene before the police arrive. If you leave the scene early, it may limit your right to pursue a claim from an at-fault driver and may even result in a criminal charge.
- Get medical attention. It is important to get treated even if you do not believe your injuries are serious. If you do not seek medical attention as soon as possible, the insurance company may argue that your injuries were not caused by or related to the accident.
- Do not make statements to anybody except the police at the accident scene. Do not admit liability. When speaking to the police officer, stick to the facts of the accident and do not voluntarily offer your own opinion of the situation.
- Get information from the other driver. When possible, it is important to obtain the other driver’s name, address, insurance information, license plate number and contact information. It is also helpful to write down the names and contact information of witnesses, the name(s) of the officer(s) at the scene and the incident number of the report, and to take photographs if you have a camera or cellphone camera.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident. You must promptly report the accident to your insurance agent, if you have one, otherwise to your insurance company’s claims reporting center and cooperate fully with your insurance company’s investigation. You will see the value of having a great insurance agent to help guide you through the process.
- Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company. While your auto policy imposes a duty upon you to cooperate with your insurer, there is no such duty to cooperate with the other driver’s insurer.
Car Accidents And Personal Injury Insurance Claims In White Plains
Talking to a lawyer about your car accident and your legal rights following an accident is also a crucial step in the recovery process. Insurance companies may try to mitigate damages following accidents through the denial of claims or through settlement offers that are well below what is necessary. Our firm will stand up for your rights.
No Attorney Fees If No Recovery Following Your Accident
Learn more about what to do after an accident and how our personal injury lawyers can help you through the recovery process. Call 914-290-4403 or 845-617-5404 to schedule a free phone consultation with Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. in White Plains or New City.