Personal Injury Lawyer Yonkers, NY
If you were hurt in an accident caused by someone else, you may want to speak to a personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses. A lawyer from Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. can help you file a lawsuit and improve your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
How To Maximize Your Personal Injury Settlement
If you suffered injuries because of someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated. Moreover, it is also to discuss some examples of personal injuries as well. There are different reasons as to why someone would end up with a personal injury. For example; sometimes these instances can happen at work, and they can involve slips and falls, dangerous conditions regarding machinery and a lack of safety, furnaces, and more. However, Businesses and companies are responsible for their employees, and failure to do so can end up having consequences. At the same time though, personal injuries do not always relate to workplace aspects. Sometimes, they can also strongly relate to car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and even slips and falls, outside of someone’s home. Moreover, sometimes personal injuries require an individual to hire a professional and get compensation. Now; in order to obtain a fair settlement, you have to take the proper steps. When one is in a personal injury situation, it may be tempting for an individual to want to take immediate action, while skipping steps that they deem not needed. However, all steps are necessary, for an individual to get more efficiently assessed about what they want, how they want to get compensation, the type of injury that they were involved in, etc. This helps an individual to better assess how exactly their situation should be handled. If a step is skipped, the person will have to suffer long and may not get the compensation that they deserve. Now; here are a few ways to maximize your personal injury settlement.
- Get medical attention promptly. If you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s important to seek emergency medical treatment right away. A doctor must evaluate your injuries and then recommend the appropriate treatment. Remember to obtain the medical records for your records. If you wait too long to see a doctor, you’re not just putting your health at risk. You’re also giving the defendant’s insurance company a reason to deny your claim.
- Gather evidence. The more evidence you have of the accident, the better chance you have of winning a fair settlement. To prevent evidence from getting lost, you should preserve it as soon as possible. For example, you may want to take photos of the accident scene, get the names of witnesses and obtain video surveillance of the accident scene.
- Hire a lawyer. Whether you were injured in a car accident, by a defective product or in a slip and fall accident, it’s in your best interest to work with a personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY. A skilled lawyer from Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. will know how to properly present your case and handle all negotiations with the insurance company.
- Be truthful about the extent of your injuries. A mistake some accident victims make is exaggerating their injuries to obtain a higher settlement. Under no circumstances should you do this. If you’re caught lying about your injuries, it may destroy your credibility and jeopardize your claim.
- Don’t be careless on social media. When you’re pursuing a personal injury claim, you have to be especially careful about what you post on your social media profiles. The defense could be looking at your profiles for information to use against you. For instance, if you claim that you suffered a neck injury in an accident and post photos of yourself on a rollercoaster, the other side could argue that you’re not being truthful about your injuries.
The Steps Of A Personal Injury Case
If you’ve been injured in an accident and are seeking compensation from the at-fault party, it is natural to wonder what steps you will need to take to maximize your chances for a successful case. First, seek medical attention. This is incredibly important, not only for your health and wellbeing but also to lay the groundwork for your claim. Once your injuries have been attended to by the appropriate medical professionals, you can focus on your personal injury case.
1. Gathering Evidence
The records from the hospital or doctor’s office appointment you made following your accident will be crucial in establishing your need for financial compensation. These documents will show the extent of the injuries you sustained during the incident and create a baseline from which any recovery or complications occur. This is not the only evidence that will need to be gathered, however. Determining what evidentiary documents will be necessary is something a personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY, can help you with.
You will want to obtain medical bills, proof of lost wages due to your injuries, and any other expense information that stems from the accident. Evidence from the scene is also helpful, including photos, police reports, and witness statements.
2. Filing A Complaint
You will need to file court papers and undergo a series of pre-trial events. The attorneys of Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. are knowledgeable in this process and can help you prepare for each step. The discovery process will require both sides of the case to exchange information. There may also be a deposition phase in which witnesses, including the plaintiff and defendant, can be required to give statements under oath.
3. Negotiating A Settlement
Not all personal injury cases go to trial. In fact, most are resolved before making it to the litigation stage. It is common for a settlement to be reached following the discovery and deposition process. Through the process of mediation, the parties may come to an agreeable solution. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY, on your side can benefit you throughout the process, especially during negotiations.
If a settlement cannot be reached, your case will advance to trial. It can be decided upon by either a judge or jury and both of these options may require additional preparation. The prospect of a trial can be frightening, but Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. can help you prepare for litigation.
Schedule a consultation with a Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. today.
Personal Injury Lawyer Yonkers, NY
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured, it is natural to start thinking about finding the right personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY for you. Not every personal injury lawyer is created equal and not every lawyer is going to be a good fit for you. You need someone with a variety of qualities to ensure that you get the most out of your case, and get the compensation you deserve.
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer then here are the qualities that you should be looking for.
Whenever possible it is in your best interest to choose a lawyer with some years under their belt. A seasoned lawyer has gathered the skills, knowledge, and expertise that only comes from working in real cases. While law school teaches lawyers how to conduct legal research, write legal opinions, and argue theories it doesn’t prepare them for the real deal of managing multiple cases, supervising staff, and working with judges and fellow lawyers.
If your only option is a newer lawyer, that doesn’t mean you won’t be taken care of. Just ensure that they are practicing with a team of strong experienced professionals who have the years under their belt to help out if needed.
- Through Investigating Skills
Personal injury lawyers need to understand the importance of conducting an independent accident investigation. You don’t want someone who just simply uses the police report to build a case. There is a chance that something was missed that your lawyer can discover. Personal injury cases have to determine who is at fault in order to recover damages.
A good personal injury lawyer in Yonkers NY is going to have a network of experts to assist them in their investigations. This can include reconstructionists, medical professionals, financial advisors, and many others who can help them uncover every piece of evidence they can use to prove fault. However, be wary of a lawyer who throws around big numbers without performing an investigation.
- Great Listener
It is clear that a good lawyer has good communication skills but they also need to have great listening skills. It is important that you be wary of any lawyer that does all the talking. If you are being interrupted and are barely getting a word in, then your lawyer probably isn’t listening to you. If they don’t listen then they are going to miss crucial information that could make or break your case.
When you first meet up with your lawyer they are going to spend a good amount of time just listening to you before they speak. When they do speak, are they asking questions that prove they were listening or do you have to repeat yourself over and over? If they are listening then, you know that they are taking your case seriously and want to provide the most favorable outcome for you.
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured then reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Yonkers, NY on the Greenspan & Greenspan P.C team to learn more about what we can do for you today.