Truck Accident Lawyer Yonkers, NY
Accidents involving big trucks and 18-wheel semis are a major cause of traffic-related deaths in the United States. A big industrial truck can weigh as much as 30 times more than a car. Due to this size disparity, any collision between a truck and a smaller car is likely to lead to disastrous damage and injuries. Big rigs and trucks are subject to special traffic laws and regulations in order to minimize dangers posed to the general public. Our knowledgeable attorneys at Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. can help victims of accidents determine if there were violations of these regulations.
18-wheelers need high-level, organized maintenance to function in a safe manner. These semis should be appropriately kept up to ensure the functionality of all parts including brakes, lights, steering mechanisms, reflectors, fluid levels, and of course, the engine. Failure to carry out the requisite maintenance or keep in-depth records of such assessments can result in deadly traffic mishaps.
Kinds of Truck Accidents
Tractor trailers are involved in one out of every ten traffic crashes in the United States, according to federal data. Some of the most common types of accidents include:
- Truck Rollovers: Rollover accidents are frequently brought on by tire blowouts or inappropriate storage of freight, triggering the truck to lose stability and drift out of control.
- Jacknife Crashes: When the driver brakes too suddenly or loses control of the trailer, the back end can swing around to a 90-degree angle, causing serious damage.
- Trailer Detachment: A malfunctioning hitch can trigger the trailer to break totally free. This can likewise occur during an impact with another automobile.
- Drive Under/ Under Ride Accidents: Under truck accidents are some of the most fatal and take place when a traveler vehicle slides under the truck when rear-ending or in a T-bone crash.
- Wide Turn Accidents: Due to their size, 18 wheelers must swing out wide when making a turn. Smaller vehicles can get sideswiped or squeezed if they are captured between the truck’s right-hand side and the highway embankment.
- Falling Cargo: Freight that is inadequately secured or strained can break loose and fall out, posing extreme hazards to approaching traffic.
If you were involved in an 18-wheeler crash in or around New York City, you may be eligible to file a truck accident lawsuit. To get more information about your legal alternatives, contact our offices for a complimentary, no-obligation case review.
It’s no secret that truck drivers work long hours and are under pressure to meet demanding deadlines. The resulting fatigue can significantly impair a truck driver’s judgment, reflexes, and reaction times, resulting in serious mishaps. Any one of these could result in an accident, in which case you should contact a truck accident lawyer in Yonkers, New York at Greenspan & Greenspan P.C.
Other common reasons for truck mishaps in NY consist of:
- Distracted driving
- Excessive speed
- Driving while impaired
- Driver inexperience
- Mechanical issues such as brake failure
- Driver mistake/negligence
- Unsteady cargo
- Hazardous car operation
- Harsh weather
- Poor roadway conditions/roadway hazards
Careless drivers should be held accountable for their actions, and the exact same can be stated for trucking businesses that need to stick to regulations laid out by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Department of Transportation (DOT). There are specific rules regarding truck driver credentials and licensing, the number of hours a day a trucker can drive, when and how their rig requires to be checked, and other procedures that ensure hazardous vehicles are eliminated from the highway.
If you have been injured in a truck accident don’t hesitate to reach out to an attorney right away to get the help you need. Call a truck accident lawyer in Yonkers, NY, at Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. today.