How many times this summer have we awoken to the news of another fatal car accident in Westchester or Rockland Counties? Take a look at a sampling of some of the recent tragedies:
- The Journal News is reporting that a 34 year old driver was killed on August 10 as a result of driving the wrong way on the Taconic and colliding with another vehicle had a blood alcohol content that was an astounding four times over the legal limit.
- One person was killed and several others were injured in a three car collision on the Palisades Parkway on August 14
- A wrong way driver on Route 9W was found to be drunk, but fortunately did not kill or injure anyone in the early morning hours of August 14
- A wrong way driver on the Tappan Zee Bridge caused a fatal accident on the night of July 23
And of course, there was that fatal boat crash on the Hudson River on July 26 which took the life of a bride to be and her groom’s best man.
How many families are grieving this summer because of senseless tragedies?
What can we as parents do to protect our children from becoming another victim? Here are a few suggestions:
1. Information is crucial. Discuss these events with your family over a meal. Your college age son or daughter is used to being out past midnight. They have to be made aware of how many dangerous drivers are out late at night. While it may be a losing battle to try and get a college age student to come home early, we can encourage them to stay off of the highways and major roads late at night.
2. Don’t be afraid to speak up. Remind your student that they never should get into the car with someone who is sitting behind the wheel after having more than one drink that night. They should speak up and try to prevent a friend from driving who has had too much to drink.
3. Mom and Dad will be there! If your child finds themselves without a ride because they wouldn’t get into a car with someone who shouldn’t be driving or they themselves had too much, it is simple. Tell them to pick up the phone and call you. Mom or Dad will come and get them no matter where they are.
AGGRESSIVELY ADVOCATING FOR OUR CLIENTS SINCE 1959
Call Us 24/7
Get Your First Consultation FREE!
Contact The Firm
Fields marked with an * are required