Bicycle Accidents Lawyers in New City, NY: We Provide Legal Services to Help Victims Recover the Compensation They Deserve
In recent years, increasingly more New Yorkers have begun opting for riding bicycles over driving cars. The reasons are relatively simple: bikes cost less, there’s little in the way of expensive maintenance, they’re convenient, there have been new efforts to provide bike lanes, and bikes do not produce carbon emissions that harm the planet.
However, bicycles are not exactly known for being the safest mode of transportation. Compared to others on the road, cyclists have far fewer protections if they are ever struck by a faster, heavier motor vehicle. The resulting injuries of such a collision could be catastrophic or even life-threatening.
While a bike accident victim attempts to recover from their wounds, they are also expected to speak with insurance companies, police investigators, and potentially even the other driver if settlement negotiations are ever initiated. This is simply unfair, especially for someone who may be seriously injured.
You do not have to go through this process alone.
At our New York law firm, our attorneys and associates have decades of experience representing clients making accident claims. As your legal representation, we will help shoulder the burden of responsibilities by communicating with insurance companies, gathering useful evidence and information, and using our legal knowledge to pursue the maximum form of compensation for you and your family.
We know that this is a difficult time in your life. But it could be made at least a little bit easier with the help of experienced personal injury lawyers in New City, NY. To discuss your case in more detail, please contact our New City, NY law office to schedule a free consultation.
How Common are Bike Accident Injuries in the State of New York?
With more people biking to work and places of relaxation, there are naturally more bicycle accidents on the road today than there were years ago. There are thousands of accidents each year across the state, with tens of thousands more across the country.
All but only a small handful of bicycle accidents result in injury. Most injuries are survivable, though may require medical attention and a trip to the emergency room.
A worrying number of bike accidents result in death. Nearly a thousand accidents result in fatalities every year across the country.
How Does an Insurance Company Handle a Bicycle Accident Claim in New York?
New York’s “no-fault” insurance laws can be difficult to figure out. While they may be fairly straightforward for motor vehicle crashes, bicyclists and motorcyclists are not always held to the same standards.
When a bicyclist is involved in a crash, the guidelines for what insurance does and doesn’t cover can get a bit murky and quirky.
To better understand the complexities of insurance company rules and regulations as for how they pertain to cyclists, please contact our law firm to schedule a case evaluation where we may discuss matters with you in more detail.
What Types of Damages can be Recovered by Taking Legal Action?
With the help of an experienced personal injury attorney, you may be able to recover compensation to help pay for certain damages that were caused by the accident.
It may be possible to recover damages for the following reasons:
- Disfigurement, loss of limbs, paralysis, and other new conditions which leave the injured person unable to care for themselves or re-enter society may be covered in a settlement.
- Lost wages due to your injury, hospitalization, and recovery. In cases where the injuries leave you unable to return to your old line of work, it may be possible to calculate future lost earnings.
- Medical expenses either in the short term or the long term. Ambulance services, a prolonged hospital stay, the need for surgeries, x-rays, prescription medication, and aftercare may all be covered by the at-fault party if negligence can be established. Future medical care can also be figured into the settlement so that you are taken care of and don’t need to worry about tomorrow.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering. Often catastrophic injuries can forever alter the quality of life for the accident victim. This pain and suffering, whether it be the result of new physical disabilities or new psychological anguish, can be addressed financially.
- Punitive damages may be something you can fight for if it is determined that the other party was willfully ignorant, negligent, or acted with the express intent to harm their victim.
How Long Does a Cyclist Have to File a Claim Following an Accident?
Most bicycle accident victims have three years to file a claim. However, there are some exceptions to that rule. In cases with a bicycle accident resulting in loss of life, that deadline may be two years.
When a government or state agency or individual is responsible for the accident, the statute of limitations can be much, much more limited.
Do not delay. Contact a lawyer today.
Contact Our Law Firm to Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident, you should seek medical attention first and then hire legal representation. Do not rely on your insurance company to have your back.
To discuss your case and learn your options, schedule a free consultation with our law firm today. Greenspan & Greenspan operates in law offices based out of White Plains and New City, NY, but we proudly serve clients across the state of New York.
Call us at (845) 422-8060.